Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Conner is 8!!!!


Wow, time flies! I can hardly believe I have an eight year old. Conner is an AMAZING boy, I am so happy and grateful he is my son. Conner was especially happy to turn eight on Easter Day. He thought it was very fitting as this is the year he will be baptized. He is also really excited to start in the Boy Scout program. Big changes this year!
8 Things to know about Conner:
1. Conner is VERY smart! Before he could speak he could recite the letters of the alphabet. He looked for letters everywhere we went and pointed them out to me telling me the name of the letter. He has continued to show us his great intelligence by excelling at everything he does at school. Reading, math and general school work come very easily to him. His test scores in first grade earned him a position in the Spectrum program (a program for gifted children) but we opted not to send him for fear he would suffer socially. His teachers continue to praise him on his imagination and ability to write stories. His favorite subjects currently are Math and Art.
2. Conner is very Loving and Considerate. I cannot think of a time where Conner has not been concerned about how others are feeling. If he gives his dad a hug he will always come give me a hug too. Conner is always ready to tell us or grandparents or whomever that he loves them and will never leave without giving a hug.
3. Conner is a Good Helper. Being clean has always been important to me and Conner at a young age understood this. When he was done taking a bath, he would carefully line up this bathtub toys in the proper spot (without being asked). He puts his dirty clothes in the hamper, he puts his dirty dishes in the dishwasher. If I am running late getting the kids off to school, Conner will get them breakfast. If I ever ask Conner to do something, nine times out of ten, he will happily do it.
4. Conner is a Great Big Brother. Gavin has followed Conner around since he could walk. Conner has always been good to let him play with him and with his toys and recently to help with what ever Pokemon dilemma that Gavin has. Conner is a great big brother to Avery too. He likes to play with her hair when we read stories and keep her safe when she tries to wander off.
5. Conner likes to collect junk. This I can do without. When walking home from school, he will pick up and old bottle cap and think it is treasure. He has a box full of rocks, sticks, plastic, etc.
6. Conner loves to play games. In general this means video games but he does love board games too. Conner has always been good at Nintendo games and now his DS. I cannot fathom how he remembers all the names of the Pokemon and their positions and powers but he does. He also loves to play Battleship, Clue, Crossbows and Catapults, etc. Pretty much any game that requires strategies and imagination.
7. Conner is a VERY picky eater. When he was little the kid would eat anything. I used to think how lucky I was that he was not picky. I don't know what happened! Recently we tried to get him to eat one piece of steamed cauliflower and he gagged and threw up. He will not eat red sauce, only white. His favorite food is fetuccini alfredo. He just recently started eating pizza but only if it has very little sauce. Even then, it can only be from a handful of places. Hamburger only, no cheese, no bun just hamburger. His pickiness spreads to desserts as well. He does not like cake, certain cookies, flavored ice cream etc, etc... This is one I hope he grows out of, he is missing out on a lot of great food.
8. Conner is very Adventurous. This is a broad subject. Conner loves to try new things - except food. We went ice skating and he just went for it. He did not want to slowly ease into it, just get out there and figure it out. He loves to swim and really enjoys our annual Bear Lake trip. He likes to tube behind the boat and just spend hours playing in the sand. Conner also really enjoys going to the cabin to fish and ride four wheelers. He can spend hours climbing the trails looking for fossils. He likes to play sports and ride his bike. I cannot think of many things Conner will not at least try to do.
I could go on forever about all the things I love about Conner. Good thing I limited myself to eight. Conner, Happy Eighth Birthday!!! We LOVE YOU!


No comments: